The Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Jaji Sambo has disclosed that work on Port Harcourt- Maidugiri Eastern rail line has been affected by insecurity and vandalism. Sambo who was speaking during the Ministerial inspection tour of the project, Friday, in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, said China Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCEC), the contractor handling the rehabilitation and reconstruction of the project has complained of attacks on its workers along the rail corridor.
Sambo who was obviously very displeased by these acts, condemned it in strong terms, pointing out that in the history of Nigeria, no administration has invested more in rail infrastructure like the present administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.
He used the opportunity to call on the media and the judiciary to collaborate with the Ministry to ensure that these economic saboteurs are not only exposed but prosecuted and sentenced speedily to serve as deterrent to others.
On the issue that funds meant for the Eastern rail line is diverted to other projects, the Minister said it was fake news as the progress made so far is from the 15% of the counterpart funding by Nigeria while the 85% to be provided by foreign parterners is still negotiated.
Another area visited was the Naval Ship Yard, PortHarcourt; where after the tour, a very impressed Sambo promised to support the Navy to build the boats needed for the maritime sector.
D, Press & PR
September 3, 2022